Last July I was interviewed by Carol Tice of the Freelance Writers Den about my main freelance specialty — writing college textbook supplements and other educational materials — and also about my best productivity techniques for writers.
I wrote back then that I’d eventually provide you with the audio interview, and now I’m fulfilling that promise. Click to listen on your computer or download it as an mp3 for later listening.
What Carol and I Discuss…
The interview is nearly 45 minutes long. In the first half I talk about how I’ve succeeded at freelancing for college textbook publishers and give advice on how other writers can do it too, primarily building on the guest post I’d written for Carol and the many questions I answered in the comments section of that post. Specifically I discuss:
- How writers can break into the field if they haven’t taught college or don’t have an advanced degree
- Working in the high-school market
- How to find editors and get jobs
- Typical pay rates and how to negotiate higher pay
- The most efficient methods for doing this type of work
- And much more
Then Carol and I did some fun and informative back-and-forth on how writers can be more productive, which translates into getting more work done in less time:
- Determining priorities and sticking to them
- How to handle e-mail and other potential distractions
- Why freelance writers need to exercise and stay healthy
Carol is an excellent resource for freelance writers at all levels of success. Read her blog and read my review of her Freelance Writers Den membership site. (I’ve been in the Den since its beginning, and I’m one of the moderators.)
I had a lot of fun chatting with Carol. Let me know what you think of the interview in the comments below.