I have a middle-aged brain and it concerns me. Overall I do great, but my short-term memory sometimes … doesn’t work so well.
But hey, there’s some good news for me, and for all of you that are in the 40-65 age category, or will be eventually.
I just found a New York Times interview with Barbara Strauch, who wrote the recently released :
After we hit 40, many of us begin to worry about our aging brains. Will we spend our middle years searching for car keys and forgetting names?
Sure, brains can get forgetful as they get old, but they can also get better with age, reports Ms. Strauch, who is also the health editor at The New York Times.
6 Important Points About Middle-Aged Brains
1. Despite short-term memory problems, middle-aged brains function quite well, especially in people with good health.
2. The middle-aged brain solves problems better than young-adult brains: they’re superior at inductive reasoning and have more experience dealing with problems.
3. Middle-aged people have better social skills than young adults. They’re better at assessing people and social situations.
4. As you age, you have more experience in dealing with the world, and this creates neural connections in the brain that help you deal better with life.
5. Regular exercise keeps your brain sharp. And most things that are good for your heart are also good for your brain.
6. Increased interaction with other people helps your brain.
My Younger Brain…
As an undergrad I took calculus and higher mathematics, plus several courses in calculus-based physics and physical chemistry. My brain was quite good at doing math well and quickly, and it helped me get mostly A’s.
But I’ve wondered since if I could regain those math skills if I ever wanted to go back to school, say to study astrophysics.
Now I’m encouraged that my brain can do that, if I really want it to.
Intelligent productivity requires that we make the best use of our brains. I’m buying the book.
What About Your Brain?
Got a middle-aged brain? Feeling more hopeful about it? How’s it serving you overall?