Small positive changes will add up to make a big difference in your life: better health, better relationships, more happiness, more money. I think we all know this, but have you actually identified your small changes, and more importantly, are you actually doing them?
Example: I Do a the Yoga Wheel Pose Every Day
Health and vitality are crucial for me, and staying flexible is a key component of that. I’ve been doing 10-15 minutes of yoga a day for my entire adult life. I do a series of poses that stretch my main muscles and my spine.
I occasionally take yoga classes in Mount Shasta from Amy Cooper. A few months ago Amy had us do the wheel pose, chakrasana, what most people call a back-bend. She told us that if we did this every day for the rest of our lives we’d always have a healthy back.
I took this to heart and set the goal to do the wheel pose every day (except when I don’t have access to a good surface for it, like when I’m camping or backpacking). My posture has improved and my back feels great.
What Small Things Can You Do Daily or Weekly That Will Have a Major Long-Term Impact?
I want you to examine the important areas of your life and identify small things that you know will make a big difference, things that you will do regularly and make important goals. Here are some examples…
Physical and Mental Health
- 20-minute walk every day
- 15 minutes more every day preparing healthy meals from fresh ingredients
- 10 minutes of yoga a day, and perhaps one yoga class per week
- losing 1-2 pounds per month
- 15-minute nap in the afternoon
- extra 30 minutes of sleep at night
- more attention to proper posture
- more attention to relaxing your muscles
- more attention to deep, slow breathing
Relationships with Loved Ones
- 30 more minutes a day with your kids
- calling your mother twice as frequently as you do now
- more quality alone time with your partner
- reaching out more often to friends and family members
- increased focus on winning high-paying clients
- creating a detailed budget so you know where your money comes from and where it goes
- find an extra $100/month (or $50 or $500) to put in savings, or spend on professional development, or put in a retirement fund, or use to pay down credit card debt
- 30 minutes a week becoming a better writer — review The Elements of Style or any other quality book on the basics of good writing
- contact 2 more potential clients a week
- 30 minutes a week looking more professional on your website, LinkedIn, social media
- 30 minutes a week networking with clients, potential clients, and other freelance writers in your freelance writing specialty
- implementing ways to get more joy from freelance writing
- Review your goals daily
- Review best time management practices
- Ask yourself frequently “What’s the best use of my time right now?“
- Watch less television
What small changes have you taken that have made a big difference in your life? What small changes will you make now that you know will make a big difference in your life? Share with us!