If you want to be a successful freelance writer, you must write well.
You don’t have to be a perfectionist, but you do need to write clearly and with very few punctuation, grammar, and spelling errors. You can learn to do this through studying the English language and proper writing and editing techniques.
And learning to write well will increase your productivity and boost your freelance writing career. Here’s how.
1. You Will Sell More Work for More Money
The better you write, the more editors will buy what you sell, and the more they’ll pay you for it.
You will also save time by marketing less because editors who know the quality of your work will come to you with assignments; you won’t have to chase after them begging for work.
2. You Will Increase Your Writing Speed
You’ll write faster when you are comfortable with your craft. Your brain won’t bring you to a screeching halt to ask whether or not you used a comma correctly, or if a verb agrees with its subject.
3. You Will Increase Your Editing Speed
When you write well, your first draft is in much better shape than when you don’t write well, so editing of subsequent drafts goes much quicker.
4. You Will Enjoy Writing More
You’ll get greater satisfaction out of the writing process because you’ll know what you’re doing. You’ll also be more satisfied with your finished work.
1. Spend at least one hour a week studying the craft of writing.
2. Join a writer’s critique group. Members read each others work and then make corrections and suggestions. There are certainly several in your area. Ask local writers and at bookstores and libraries. Also check the Internet.
Do you agree or disagree with what I say? Are there other benefits of writing well? Do you have other suggestions? Share below!