Beat Writer’s Block and Procrastination With My Kindle Ebook

by John Soares on January 30, 2014

If you want to be a successful freelance writer, you must overcome writer’s block and procrastination. How much have these two maladies cost you in your freelance career?

50 Ways to Beat Writer's Block and Procrastination helps you get your writing done.Fortunately, I have the perfect solution: my Kindle ebook 50 Ways to Beat Writer’s Block and Procrastination, and it’s just $2.99.

Note: you don’t need to actually own a Kindle to read Kindle ebooks. Kindle has software and apps that let you read ebooks on your computer or your tablet or smartphone.

50 Ways? So Many!

Here are a few samples from 50 Ways to Beat Writer’s Block and Procrastination to whet you appetite.

3. Make a Detailed Outline

On the rare occasions I have writer’s block, it’s typically because I’m not crystal clear on exactly what I’m writing.

That’s why you must have a good outline. If you haven’t decided exactly what you need to include and in what order, your brain can feel overwhelmed with the task and may try to convince you to do something else it knows it can handle.

Many writers avoid outlines because they think making them is a waste of time. In my experience it’s exactly the opposite, especially for projects like long articles and books.

5. Write for Just One Person

Thinking about all the people that could potentially read your words can overwhelm you. I remember very early in my career sitting immobilized at the keyboard for hours trying to write an assigned article for Sunset, a magazine with a million subscribers and a circulation much larger than that; I kept imagining all those people and wondering if some of them might not like my writing.

Here’s what worked for me: thinking of one sympathetic person who is very interested in what my words say and is very happy to read them.

I used an imaginary person, but you can also think of someone you know, like a supportive family member or friend.

13. Remember Times When You Were Successful Doing Difficult Things

We all have had times in our lives when we had to buckle down and complete something difficult. It may have been finishing a college degree, or handling an important project at a job, or dealing with a personal challenge or a family crisis. Use that past success to give you the courage to get started on your current writing project and persevere until it’s complete.

42. Get Enough Sleep

Adults need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep a night. If you consistently get less than this you will suffer fatigue in both body and mind. When your brain is tired you just can’t think as well, so you won’t write as well. Also, your willpower is greatly diminished, which means you’re far more likely to procrastinate.

Your thoughts on writer’s block and procrastination, including what I wrote above? Any questions about the ebook itself?

1 Anne Wayman January 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM

John, your book is downloading to my kindle right now… exciting. I think number 5 may the most helpful.

Thanks for the book, John
    Anne Wayman recently posted…Writers – That or Which? (Now With Bonus Who!) With Handy Chart

2 John Soares January 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM

I had a lot of fun writing the book Anne. I’m sure you’ll find other helpful tips.
    John Soares recently posted…19 Successful Freelance Writers Share Their Top Goals for 2014

3 Kaloyan Banev January 31, 2014 at 4:13 AM

Twitter: @webmaisterpro

I will definitely check it, hope it will work on my app in Adroid. Downloading now and promising review.
    Kaloyan Banev recently posted…3 Key Areas to Focus While Designing Mobile Website

4 John Soares February 1, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Thank you Kaloyan!

5 Raviraj February 1, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Twitter: @ravirajlh

Gonna download on my android smart phone and for sure will come back with a review. You did a great job by writing sucha great book for we writers

6 Lem February 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM

To avoid writer’s block, I made a list of useful blogs on where I could get ideas. I read their blog posts and think of a new angle on how to write that particular topic suited for my blog.

7 joe arrigo February 1, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Twitter: @joseph_arrigo

I’ve found that the technique of just starting the writing process, where you may only have a whisp of an idea, is very helpful…just a sentence, even only the title. It seems to break the initial inertia where other thoughts begin to form. I’ve used it several times, and works most of the time.
    joe arrigo recently posted…A Super Wonder Material that Will Revolutionize the Way We Live

8 John Soares February 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Joe, it’s important to just get going, even if we don’t like what we’re writing. We can always edit later, and just the act of writing often releases our creativity.
    John Soares recently posted…8 Time Management Techniques for Successful Writers

9 Jeevan Jacob John February 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Twitter: @DaringBlogger

Procrastination is one of my favorite topics (along with time management), so I have added the eBook to my reading list.

I am not sure if I will get to buying and reading it soon (I have about 50 in my reading list…plus everyone seems to be recommending different books…need to finish up those before I can read any new ones).

Although I might go ahead and buy your book (since like I mentioned, this is one of my favorite topics).

Thanks for the update, John :) Hope you are having an enjoyable weekend!
    Jeevan Jacob John recently posted…Social Media Strategy, Tips/Quotes and Socializing!

10 John Soares February 3, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Jeevan, the book is divided into two sections: writer’s block and procrastination. The latter part will likely be of more interest to you.

And I also have a long reading list!
    John Soares recently posted…The Best Way to Bid a Freelance Project