How My Computer Screen Background Photo Inspires My Writing

by John Soares on December 10, 2013

What we see where we write can help us be more productive and more creative.

That’s why I chose this photo for my computer screen background…

Stephanie entering Bell Canyon in Utah's San Rafael Swell.

Stephanie entering Bell Canyon in Utah’s San Rafael Swell.

That’s my life partner Stephanie Hoffman entering Bell Canyon in southern Utah’s San Rafael Swell. This hike is the best we’ve ever done together. We saw stunning sandstone formations, talked with interesting people, and squeezed through the three-foot-wide confines of Little Wild Horse Canyon.

We fell deeper in love that day.

How Does This Photo Inspire My Writing?

It makes me want to get my work done quickly so I can get out and enjoy the world with Stephanie, and just enjoy life itself as much as possible.

It also makes me want to get my work done well, so I keep getting high-paying assignments that allow me the time and money to do what’s really important to me.

It’s the philosophy behind Productive Writers: Work Less, Earn More, Live More.

What’s your computer screen background? How does it inspire you?

1 Cathy Miller December 10, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Mine is a shot from my beach chair sitting on the ocean’s edge in Maui with a sailboat gliding across the Hawaii blue ocean. :-) Ah, bliss.
    Cathy Miller recently posted…What Are Your Customers Really Saying?

2 John Soares December 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Oooh! Excellent Cathy!

I lived in the Hawaiian Islands, so I can definitely relate.
    John Soares recently posted…Twitter Hashtags for Freelance Writers

3 Steeny Lou December 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I’ve been inspired to write by photos of loved ones, too. I like that you validated that thought by posting about it. Thanks!
    Steeny Lou recently posted…Proper Use of the Personal Pronoun “I”

4 John Soares December 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I wonder how common it is with other writers?
    John Soares recently posted…Comprehensive Guide to Setting Freelance Writing Goals

5 Anne Wayman December 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM

John, right now, with the new computer, my screen shot isn’t – just a blank blue… which, for the moment, I kinda like ;)
    Anne Wayman recently posted…Freelance Writers and Copyrights – What You Need To Know – Part 1

6 John Soares December 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM

There’s something to be said for having no reaction whatsoever to the computer screen.

Hope your new computer is treating you well. I’ll be getting another ultrabook in January.
    John Soares recently posted…My 11 Questions About Publishing Ebooks on Amazon’s Kindle

7 Tom Bentley December 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Twitter: @bentguy1

John, that’s a lovely shot, and I can see how it provides warmth on the coldest days. I have rotating photos on my machine of my trips to the Bahamas, Panama and the little Micronesian island I lived on. Some beautiful, some eerie, some weird, but it’s all good…
    Tom Bentley recently posted…Poking the Eyes Out (At Least One) of the Green-Eyed Writing Monster

8 John Soares December 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Tom, I might eventually do rotating photos. Sure sounds like you have an interesting mix.

Were the Bahamas shots from when you had that strange house-sit? I read a post about that. I know you were somewhere in the Caribbean.
    John Soares recently posted…Top Interview Tips for Freelance Writers

9 Helene Poulakou December 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Twitter: @HelenePoulakou

Mine is a photo I found on flickr — but I like it so much!
    It’s either fall or wintertime by the sea (Crete, Greece), the sky all blue and grey and light penetrating through the clouds; the wind ripples the surface of the water and bends the reeds at the beachside.
    It relaxes me. It takes me on journeys. It reminds me of beautiful.
    Helene Poulakou recently posted…Inspiration Exists

10 John Soares December 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Such a beautiful description Helene!

I spent 2-3 weeks in Greece many, many years ago, primarily in the islands. I loved it!
    John Soares recently posted…Health Insurance for Freelance Writers Under the Affordable Care Act

11 Jeevan Jacob John December 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Twitter: @DaringBlogger

I use a mix of photos (nature, super hero etc.) most of them from windows downloads site.

I love the super hero wallpapers, especially characters like Batman, who are ordinary people who do extra ordinary things, through hard work and patience. That inspires me to act ;)

The nature photos, on the other hand, helps me to relax :D

12 John Soares December 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Sounds like you’ve got just the right mix Jeevan!

13 Pau December 15, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I typically go with beautiful landscapes. Particularly, tropical landscapes – they inspire me to work on my new business so that my soulmate and I can become financially independent and live our dream of moving to a tropical paradise and enjoy all the amazing sun and fruits.

14 Helene Poulakou December 15, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Twitter: @HelenePoulakou

Wow, Paul dear, do be careful with your choice of tropical paradise!
    Only today, I came upon a trader’s website, and I learned that he planned on moving to Cebu, Philipinnes to “upgrade his lifestyle” — within fall 2013. Ouch!

Hope he hadn’t already made it there when the typhoon stroke.
    Helene Poulakou recently posted…The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig

15 Jim Kansas December 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Pretty cool idea. Mine is of a violin – to inspire me to pick my violin up and play everyday. Now I can use my background to generate writing ideas. How perfect.

16 Nithin Upendran December 21, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Twitter: @bloggingnik

Cool idea bro. I am pretty inspired by the wall hangings on my room. My rooms wall hangings includes quotes :) . I never tried to put a inspirational screensaver / wallpaper on my laptop, pc,tablet or mobile but after reading this out i would include it on. Thanks howdy for providing this information with us. :D

17 Sagar Desai January 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Twitter: @AddictedmeTech

Hey John,

Till I never thought the desktop background wallpaper can inspire to write and finish it up within time to enjoy the nature. I am using Windows default blue background as wallpaper. Have to think like you. Definitely going to change it right away!