Freelance Writers, Please Do Me a Quick Favor

by John Soares on June 5, 2013

UPDATE

Find Your Freelance Writing Niches: Make More Money for Less Work is ready! Click either the preceding course title or the course cover in the sidebar to the right.

Important Note…

I answered a nearly a dozen of your best questions  in this post: New Course Shows Freelance Writers How to Find Their Niches.

———————————

My next product is nearly complete and I’d like your help to make it as useful as possible for freelance writers.

We all know (or should know!) that most freelance writers who specialize make substantially more money than those who don’t specialize. That’s why I’ve created my new course:

Find Your Freelance Writing Niches: Make More Money for Less Work

It’s nearly complete and I’m very excited about it, but I want to be sure I’ve covered everything freelance writers need to understand in order to choose their optimal specialties.

So Please Tell Me…

What is the most important question you have about how to choose a freelance writing niche? Let me know in the comments below or by sending me an e-mail: johnsoares88- at- gmail.com.

You Can Win a Free Copy of the Course!

I will randomly pick a name from all the people who leave comments or send me an e-mail. The winner will receive a free copy on launch day later this month.

Your Questions Below Please!

Or send your questions to johnsoares88- at- gmail.com.

Thank You!

And Read About the Course…

Find Your Freelance Writing Niches: Make More Money for Less Work.

Thanks again!

1 Aurora Pimentel Igea June 5, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Twitter: @AuroraPimentel

I would like to know how to balance my interests and background (what I know, what I’ve did, etc…) and those profitable niches where writing really pays.

I mean, I know there are very interesting writing niches in terms of profitability… but the problem is that, as far as I know, you should write about something you’re specialized or know a lot about…

How to match both? Shouldn’t we write always about issues and topics we really know a lot about them?

I just do not want to add more superficiality or irrelevant writing, but, again, my experience is that money is more in medium and low level of information dissemination & writing than in deep analysis or writing…

Sorry for my english, I am trying to improve it!
    Aurora Pimentel Igea recently posted…Collalbas en el descampado

2 Janet Thomson June 5, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Twitter: @wordstroker

John:

I’m not sure if this fit, but my question is how do you rebrand yourself once you realize you’ve chosen the wrong niche? My target market/niche was originally self-published authors. Starting out, I didn’t factor in that this market has very limited budgets and couldn’t afford my fees. I’ve since created my writers website, but I’m not sure how to integrate the self-publishing side of my business into my freelance writing business. I know the types of projects I want to write…case studies, blog posts, press releases, byline articles but am stuck with this niche–self-publishing- that’s not bearing any fruit. Thanks!
    Janet Thomson recently posted…Hello world!

3 Linda E. Sorin June 5, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Twitter: @onegust

Hi, I’m a new writer trying to build a career in writing with my background in marketing. My question is: what must be your level of expertise in your chosen niche? I will utilize my marketing background but don’t want to specialize in writing about marketing. A small ad agency I once worked for used a consulting firm called Second Wind. Its founder had a theory that you can become a working expert, i.e., knowing enough about a niche to speak intelligently about it to prospective clients, with three hours of research (and this was before Google)!

4 Erlinda Shen June 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Twitter: @erlindashen

The most important question I have when choosing a freelance writing niche is – how will this make me money? Writing about your passion is great. Writing about something that you are knowledgeable in is also great. However, if you cannot monetize or there is no demand, your writing will simply be a hobby. One should also ask themselves, how can I use my writing niches, projects, articles, etc. to make me side streams of income?

5 Larry June 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I am most curious regarding the following:
    Ease of entry
    Availability of work
    Compensation

6 Louis Burklow June 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Twitter: @leburklow

My question is how to fit your background and experience into a niche that is in demand. Most of my work history (other than the retail-type jobs a lot of us had in college) consists of office jobs that were heavy on data entry and research but not really focused. I think this course sounds like a great idea.

7 John Soares June 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Thank you everyone for these excellent questions! They are very helpful.

Fortunately, nearly all of them are addressed in the course.

Keep ‘em coming!
    John Soares recently posted…My Main Goal in Six Words

8 Anne Wayman June 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM

John, here’s a question I might have asked back in the day if I’d known enough to ask it: Is it better to stumble into a niche (that’s what I’ve always done, from niche to niche) or to pick and plan one?
    Anne Wayman recently posted…Learning to Ghostwrite Books – A Class I Recommend

9 Anthony Dejolde June 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Twitter: @AnthonyDejolde

How can I be sure the niche I’m eyeing fits my style, sensibilities, and background? How can I know it will sell? How can I know there’s a need? Is it sustainable?

Thanks John. My hard work is finally paying off. My guest post is live over at Be a Freelance Blogger http://beafreelanceblogger.com/freelance-blogging-k-pop/. Sophie Lizard’s blog. It’s my first on a big blog. Can I ask you to give a newbie like me support? Thanks.:)
    Anthony Dejolde recently posted…Freelance Writing Wisdom from the K-Pop Invasion

10 Carol June 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Twitter: @carolwiley

How do I get started in a niche that I otherwise have no experience in?

11 Diane de la Cruz June 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Twitter: @dianedelacruz75

Hi, John. This is a question that I want to be answered: How much do I need to know to be able to specialize in a particular niche?

12 Susan June 6, 2013 at 8:21 AM

How do I figure out the best niche for me? In other words, how do I evaluate my skills and knowledge against the markets available?

and…

How do I introduce myself and get established in that niche?

13 Ginger June 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM

How to get started. As a writer new to freelance I tend to get work that is either volunteer, or nearly so. So it’s important to me not only to match my expertise to my writing, but most importantly, to make contacts that will get me reasonable assignments.

14 John Soares June 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Thanks so much for all of these great questions.

I’ll address most of these questions next Wednesday morning, June 12, here on the blog.

And please keep adding your questions!
    John Soares recently posted…Top 10 Ways to Generate Great Freelance Writing Ideas

15 CJ Johnson June 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Twitter: @cjjohnsonwrites

I’ve learned the hard way that it is about what you enjoy writing the most.

I initially started writing whatever I could get paid to do; website content, resumes, sales letters, press releases, you name it.

It got to the point that I really started getting a lot of work to write resumes and many people suggested that to be my niche. I started to pursue that avenue and marketing that service heavily.

However, I realized that I loathe writing resumes. I would procrastinate and began marketing that service less and less.

What I have found is that I love providing PR related content such as; press releases, PR kits, and letters of introductions.

Writing PR content is what got me into copywriting when I volunteered as the PR chairwoman for a small non-profit.

Sadly, I had fallen away from making that my niche because it appeared harder to break into and the requests I was receiving just started to snow ball into providing resumes.

I am now working get back to chiefly providing PR related content.

Now I know, that while choosing your niche may not be easy, it boils down to what you enjoy the most.

That is the only way I believe that you will prosper in your niche as a freelancer.

16 Octavia June 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Hello,

I’m still at the beginning of my freelance career, and there are a lot of questions rambling though my mind. While I love writing EVERYTHING, I feel that the best way to succeed in this business is focusing on a particular niche. My question/ curiosity is the following: which niches are not over saturated yet?

17 Ansie June 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Twitter: @AnsieThread

How do you define the paramaters of your niche? I have a niche where I feel comfortable in and where I can write with authority, but I am not always sure how wide or how narrow I should stick to my niche.

18 edna June 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I now have a couple niches I write for but it took a while to realize it was much easier to write for niches.

The funniest assignment I took, in retrospect, was trying to ghost write an e-book for a doc who’s speciality was african american hair and hair issues. Didn’t know a thing about the topic but wanted the work. It didn’t end well. But I finally realized I had to write about topics I loved and knew something about. There’s enuf of a learning curve writing for the equestrian world and learning to write to a certain audience for a client.

one question is — how many niches are enuf for a writer? I do have a couple.

19 Jessica Benavides Canepa June 10, 2013 at 5:51 AM

Twitter: @jbcanepa

What if you have a couple of writing niches and have been equally successful in both? Will that eventually hinder your progress?

I am both a travel AND lifestyle writer, the latter having more of a broad range but both having to do with the luxury market.
    Jessica Benavides Canepa recently posted…<h1>How Rejection Saved My Writing Career <h1>

20 Neil June 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Hi John

How do you decide that a niche you have a strong interest in or reasonable knowledge about is something important enough or sought after for publishing?

Oh and here is a question you will not be covering in your lesson. How do you get an avatar on here. :)

Neil

21 Elizabeth June 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Twitter: @RiverwoodWriter

Neil, I wrote a blog post about how to get your picture to show up on posts like this: http://riverwoodwriter.com/gravatar/. I hope it helps.
    Elizabeth recently posted…Two-day Price Slash On My Favorite Business Membership Program

22 Elizabeth June 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Twitter: @RiverwoodWriter

John, how important is it to have credentials (degree, certification, etc.) in a niche you wish to be known for? Is actually having experience enough? Of course the answer has to be, “It depends,” but I wonder if you have any opinion about this.

Thank you!

23 dayz download June 25, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Grâce à site web, vous avez la possibilité de obtenir Minecraft 1.7.9 sans
    payer.
    C’est la dernière version que l’on vous donne.
    Vous pourrez télécharger à haute vitesse via notre lien.
    dayz download recently posted…dayz download