Top 10 Ways to Be a More Productive Freelance Writer

by John Soares on March 13, 2013

Making you a more productive and better-paid freelance writer is the prime goal of ProductiveWriters.com.

Today I’m sharing with you the 10 most important productivity posts from the blog. I suggest you read the 2-3 posts that are most important for you right now and then come back to the others later.

And please leave comments on these posts. I read all comments and respond to many of them.

A Happier Writer is a More Productive Writer

8 Ways to Increase the Joy of Freelance Writing” is one of my all time favorite PW posts. 46 comments and nearly 200 tweets.

Write Faster

How to Write Faster: 12 Top Tips for Freelance Writers” gives you the key tools to get your writing done faster, which means more money per hour for you. 71 comments and 146 tweets, with many more good suggestions in those comments.

Overcome Writer’s Block and Procrastination

These two bogeymen can kill your writing career. Read the post “50 Ways to Beat Writer’s Block and Procrastination” to find out the top four ways. 11 comments and 55 tweets.

Don’t Let Perfect Be the Enemy of Pretty Damned Good

Why Freelance Writers Must Avoid Perfectionism” explains how perfectionism will greatly decrease your productivity. 34 comments and 69 tweets.

You Must Have Clear, SMART Goals for Your Freelance Career

Comprehensive Guide to Setting Freelance Writing Goals” explains why you need goals and lays out the SMART way to go about it. 21 comments and 45 tweets.

Overcome Parkinson’s Law: the Law of Inertia

In “Why Freelance Writers Often Miss Deadlines” I explain Parkinson’s Law and what you need to do to make sure it doesn’t apply to you. 25 comments and 35 tweets.

Increase Your Reading Speed

Top Speed Reading Techniques to Boost Your Productivity” gives simple but effective ways to read faster. We freelance writers have to do a lot of reading for our work; when we do it faster we get more done. 29 comments and 37 tweets.

Minimize Interruptions

How to Minimize Interruptions So You Can Get Your Writing Done” helps you deal with those time-wasting interruptions, from e-mail alerts to phone calls to your family members. 37 comments and 73 tweets.

Proper Posture and Movement at the Computer

Writing Ergonomics: Top Tips for Proper Posture, Alignment, and Movement” contains key information for taking care of your body while you’re writing. 44 comments and 112 tweets.

An Important Question…

What’s the Best Use of My Time Right Now?” Ask yourself this throughout the day to avoid time-wasting and unimportant activities. 25  comments and 51 tweets.

Feel free leave comments on the posts I featured above and also tell us below which post you like the most.

1 Jenn Mattern March 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Twitter: @allindiewriters

Great collection John!
    Jenn Mattern recently posted…Get Productive and Increase Your Writing Income

2 John Soares March 13, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Thanks Jenn!

It was a lot of fun going through my old posts and selecting the best ones.
    John Soares recently posted…The 8 Top Ways to Legally Lower Your Freelance Writer Tax Bill

3 Courtnet Thein March 13, 2013 at 7:09 AM

This article should be a must read for those of us who are now becoming content writers. It’s not just for the freelancers, it’s great for any one who gets assigned to the company blog, or newsletter! Thanks.

4 John Soares March 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Thanks Courtnet! Most of these methods apply to many other areas of business and life.
    John Soares recently posted…Hey Freelance Writer, How Do You Respond When An Editor Asks for Changes?

5 Anne Wayman March 13, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Don’t let perfection… etc. and What’s the best use of my time right now… my two favorites and two I use often.
    Anne Wayman recently posted…Copyright Confusion – Ask Anne

6 John Soares March 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Glad to hear it Anne. I know that you are a very productive writer!

7 Cathy Miller March 14, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Proof positive of excellence in blog posts. Thanks for sharing, John. :-)
    Cathy Miller recently posted…Quick Grammar Tips to Honor National Grammar Day

8 John Soares March 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Thanks Cathy!
    John Soares recently posted…Why I Did Not Help a Fellow Freelance Writer

9 Sarah Russell March 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Twitter: @writeearnchange

Ooooh – great list :) Reading through these posts now and bookmarking this article for later reference!

10 John Soares March 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Thanks Sarah!

I plan to do a couple of similar round-up posts in the future, but on different topics.
    John Soares recently posted…Why and How Successful Freelance Writers Set Goals

11 T. A. Woods March 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Twitter: @penpaperpad

This is going to be a weekend read for me. I just wanted to say thanks for gathering up these articles for people like me, who really need the extra help to earn a living!
    T. A. Woods recently posted…The Colors of Spring-Poetry

12 John Soares March 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Very glad to help out T. A.! I hope you get a lot out of the posts.
    John Soares recently posted…Are Your Sleep Habits Hurting Your Writing Career?

13 Kayla March 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM

The way I get around blocks, wanting things to be too perfect or anything else is just to start writing. Just get on with anything and let the flow start. Once the flow starts, no matter how bad it is i can correct and improve it but its just that getting stated that sometimes needs a massive effort.

14 John Soares March 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM

That’s a very good method Kayla. It’s actually one of ones I discuss in the free report “50 Ways to Beat Writer’s Block and Procrastination” available in the sidebar.
    John Soares recently posted…Two Motivating Questions I Ask Myself Every Morning

15 Mark Smith August 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Twitter: @http://www.labelstickers.nl/dymo-labels.html

This article should be a must read for those people of us who are now becoming content writers. It’s not just for the freelancers, it’s great for any one who gets assigned to the company blog, or newsletter!
    Thanks for nice sharing,