Why Freelance Writers Must Be On LinkedIn

by John Soares on November 14, 2011

Freelance writers who want successful writing careers must be on LinkedIn. I know some of you reading this are already there, but even if you are, do you take full advantage of the site?

How LinkedIn Helps Freelance Writers

I’ve gotten assignments from editors and companies that have found me on LinkedIn, and I know of many other professional freelancers who’ve had the same experience. And LinkedIn allows you to showcase your entire career and all your skills, which makes it a great place to send potential clients so they can check you out. I have my LinkedIn profile in my e-mail signature, and several new clients have said that they looked at my profile and were very impressed by it.

Here’s a great vid that explains why LinkedIn is important and how it can help you…

Recommended BooksLinkedIn for Dummies review, Joel Elad

I strongly recommend LinkedIn for Dummies (Joel Elad, March 2011) and The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success (Wayne Breitbarth, also March 2011). Both published recently, these two books have been my bibles, especially LinkedIn for Dummies.

Power Formula for LinkedIn Success by Wayne Breitbarth review

What Other Freelance Writers Say

Many others have written excellent posts about how you can make the best use of LinkedIn. For general advice, go to Social Media Examiner and use the search function to find the relevant posts. For specifics related directly to freelance writers, see:

7 Tips for Using Your LinkedIn Profile to Land Great Projects

5 Surprising Ways Writers Can Use LinkedIn

10 Ways Writers Can Use LinkedIn to Find Freelance Gigs

Connect with Me…

linkedin-buttonConnect with me — John Soares on LinkedIn. I’m open to connecting with other serious freelance writers and business-oriented people, so feel free to send me an invitation.

However, I’m picky about who I associate with, and you’ll need to meet certain criteria:

• Have most of your profile filled out so that you look professional
  • Write me a couple of sentences that explains who you are and how you know about me
  • Be involved with a business that I consider ethical and reputable

Are you on LinkedIn? If so, what are your results? If you’re not, why not?

1 Ruth - The Freelance Writing Blog November 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Twitter: @rzive

I’m pretty sure we’re already connected on LinkedIn John, but I’ll double check. My favourite LinkedIn feature is that you can spy on those folks who are viewing your profile. By clicking on “Your profile has been viewed by XX people this week”, you can see some of the people who have been stalking you. I’ve actually reached out and landed jobs that way! I know that I still have a lot to learn about how to leverage LinkedIn’s full value, so I’ll check out those books. Thanks for the post.
    Ruth – The Freelance Writing Blog recently posted…Genius Freelance Writing Lessons Learned From a Pesky Extra Chromosome

2 John Soares November 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I also check on people who are checking on me, and it’s definitely smart to contact them.

There is so much to LinkedIn that it really does take a good book to explain it all. Still, it’s possible to get a profile up and start making quality connections with just a couple hours’ work.
    John Soares recently posted…Why Writers Must Avoid Perfectionism

3 John Soares November 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I’ve already made several new LinkedIn connections today with high-quality writers. Keep ‘em coming!
    John Soares recently posted…How to Minimize Interruptions So You Can Get Your Writing Done

4 Anne Wayman November 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Love the way your profile looks John. And the recommendations.Not surprised folks are impressed.
    Anne Wayman recently posted…When Your Favorite Blogger Blows It

5 John Soares November 14, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Thank you Anne. I’ve put a significant time into making my profile look professional.
    John Soares recently posted…Should You Edit As You Write?

6 allena November 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Twitter: @allenat

I like the discussion groups and job listings. One thing I tell new writers is to join groups in your niche. If you’re just interacting with other writers, you’re preaching to the choir.
    allena recently posted…New Book Released by Christina Katz- Any Portland Writers?

7 John Soares November 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Allena, I really like your suggestion about joining groups in your niche. I’m a member of several LinkedIn groups about textbook and educational publishing, but I bet there’s more I could join if I put in more effort.
    John Soares recently posted…Should You Edit As You Write?

8 Pinar Tarhan November 15, 2011 at 5:30 AM

Twitter: @zoeyclark

Wow, the editors are right to be impressed about your profile, and this reminded me that mine needs an update:)

I use Linkedin, but I am afraid I’m also quilty of not taking advantage of it fully. I need to make it a regular habit to connect with other writers there as well. I am a member of some writing-related forums, and have participated in several discussions but it is just not as internalized as my blog commenting. Thanks again for another hugely useful post. Shared via a lot of social media;)

9 John Soares November 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I’ve found that just spending 15-20 minutes a week on sprucing up my profile and making new connections can have great long-term benefits. It really becomes apparent when you get your first good writing job from someone who found you on LinkedIn.
    John Soares recently posted…Why Writers Must Avoid Perfectionism

10 Veronica Cervera November 15, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Thanks for the video! I love how they referred Linkedin as the “best investment we can ever make in our careers” , especially for freelancers. It’s the place where all the important people are, that alone is a great start for anyone looking for a job. Definitely one of the top 3 networks to be in. :)

11 Tim November 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Twitter: @sogeshirts

Linked In is great. I think I have only scratched the surface over there and it’s because I finally filled out all my profile. If you join many groups related to your field you can have more opportunities than you can handle.

Thanks John for the book recommendations. I think I will check those out as I can always improve my Linked In networking skills.
    Tim recently posted…How to play like your favorite drummer

12 Felicia November 23, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Twitter: @feliciabrower

Your profile is so impressive! Do you use the free version or the paid version of LinkedIn? Do you think it’s worth it to jump up to the paid version or can you do practically the same things with the free version?

13 John Soares November 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I use the free version, and I think that’s fine for most freelance writers. You can do a lot to market yourself, and I and many other writers who use the free version are getting assignments from clients who find us on LinkedIn.
    John Soares recently posted…All Your Writing Clips on One Site: Cuttings.me Review and Interview

14 Felicia November 23, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Twitter: @feliciabrower

Good to know! You inspired me to update my LinkedIn page tonight, so hopefully I’ll start to see more action on there. Thank you for the information!

15 John Soares November 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Good for you Felicia! I review my profile and edit/update it at least once a month, and usually more often than that.
    John Soares recently posted…The Best Way For Freelance Writers to Hold Themselves Accountable

16 Rigette Saycon March 28, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Twitter: @tigersaycon

Very professional looking profile John. I guess I’ll need to spend sometime working on my mine.