Just Released — The Second Edition of My Writing College Textbook Supplements E-Book

by John Soares on March 21, 2011

Most of you who visit ProductiveWriters.com know that my main niche is freelance writing for college textbook publishers. Today I’m proud to announce that I’ve just released the second edition of my e-book that details everything a smart freelancer needs to do to be successful in that niche:

Writing College Textbook Supplements: The Definitive Guide to Winning High-Paying Assignments in the College Textbook Publishing Market, second edition.

Why a Second Edition?

Simple. Even though I’ve been deeply involved in this field for nearly 20 years, I’ve learned even more since the first edition came out two years ago, plus I’ve found more resources to help writers like you win assignments.

So What’s New?

Plenty. The book went from 107 8.5×11 pages to 139 8.5×11 pages (and I didn’t pull any of that undergraduate make-the-font-larger and use-fatter-margins stuff) because I added a lot important of material:

• How to find jobs on the Internet
  • Using LinkedIn to connect with editors
  • Working for other companies and nonprofits besides textbook publishing companies
  • The pros and cons of having your own website, and what to include if you do decide to have your own website
  • Increased information on how to please editors and increase the likelihood you’ll be hired again
  • More tips on how to get the actual work done well and quickly
  • Discussion of Bloom’s taxonomy for test questions, along with an extensive list of resources
  • More Internet resources, along with updated URLs

Want to Know More?

Head over to the main page with all the details. And read my post about when you should write a second or revised edition of your book or e-book.

Questions?

Curious about this niche? Ask me anything you want. You can also ask about the process of writing books and how to update them for new editions.

1 Eric Soares March 21, 2011 at 5:58 PM

John,

That is great news! Congratulations on the 2nd edition of WRITING COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SUPPLEMENTS. I found the information in your first edition very helpful, and as a person who has written college text supplements, I look forward to reading your new material in the 2nd edition.

2 John Soares March 22, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Eric, I think you’ll find the new information very helpful. I’ve found even more places to find editors, and I go into more detail on how to write quality test questions, including providing lots of resources on Bloom’s taxonomy.

I also provide more examples from my personal experience with projects and editors.
John Soares recently posted…Selling E-Books with E-Junkie- My Experience

3 Delena Silverfox March 22, 2011 at 4:16 AM

Wow! Congratulations, John! That’s quite an accomplishment, not just all the new material, but keeping everything updated. I saw your Tweet about it earlier, and was very curious.

I can only imagine the work involved, and every once in a while I think of your book when I’m sifting through my own textbooks for class.

Delena
Delena Silverfox recently posted…123Inkjets Coupon

4 John Soares March 22, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Thanks Delena! It was a bit of work to create the new edition, but I’m very glad I did it. The first edition came out 2 years ago, and some things had changed, especially online.
John Soares recently posted…Top Time Management Techniques for Freelance Writers

5 John Soares March 22, 2011 at 7:18 AM

And I don’t know what you’re studying in college, but I’ll bet at some point you’ll either be answering test questions I wrote, or looking at a lecture PowerPoint slides I created, or using an online study guide from me.

Here are the subjects where we’d most likely meet:

* Political Science — American government, international relations
* History — American, western civ, world
* Geography
* Geology
* Environmental Science
John Soares recently posted…Get Permission to Use Copyrighted Photos

6 Dave Doolin March 22, 2011 at 8:17 AM

It’s time for me to think about updating BPE again. I’m mulling over several notions. One is to keep the page length the same by moving older or less relevant or dated material to “Vol 2″ when I add new material. For example, replacing Delicious and Plurk with Pinboard and Cinchcast. We’ll see.
Dave Doolin recently posted…Business Blogging- How to Persuade a Client to Create Her Pillar Content

7 John Soares March 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Dave, you could move the older and less relevant material to appendices, or make it a stand-alone document (series of documents) as a bonus.
John Soares recently posted…Top 10 Tips For a Successful Teleseminar-Podcast Interview

8 Dave Doolin March 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM

John, exactly!

9 Dionne Soares Palmer March 22, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Congratulations on getting the second edition finished, John! I especially liked the new information on types of test questions and using technology (LinkedIn, your own website, finding jobs online, etc.), and I also really liked the bonus information on productivity you included in this edition. As I have mentioned to you before, your book has been a huge help to me as I am building my career as a supplements writer–every time I encounter a new situation, I reread the parts of your book that are relevant to my situation to make sure I don’t noob anything up! :)

10 John Soares March 22, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Thanks for the kind word Dionne!

It felt good to go through and add the new material and ensure the e-book is completely up-to-date. Now I know I have the highest quality e-book I can produce, and that it will really help writers to get assignments with textbook publishers, and it will also help college instructors teach better and college students learn better.
John Soares recently posted…Google’s Plan for Your Ebook Reading

11 Stephanie Hoffman March 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM

John, you are such a role model for me in the area of discipline and commitment to excellence! I’m sure creating a second edition took copious hours and took you away from other activities you prefer more than writing; however, you did it and did it well. Best of luck in launching the revised e-book. Much appreciated!

12 John Soares March 22, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Thanks for the kind words Stephanie. I really enjoy my main specialty, and I love sharing what I know with others.

It really comes down to helping college students get good educations.
John Soares recently posted…2010 Book and E-Book Sales Data for the United States

13 Anne Waymn March 25, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Congratulations… updating a book is no small achievement. Then there’s the whole re-launch sequence. Good job!
Anne Waymn recently posted…The Good Online Writer’s Workshop

14 John Soares March 25, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Thanks Anne! I just finished contacting all the previous purchasers and giving them the link where they can download their free copy of the second edition.

15 Anne Waymn March 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM

What a great idea, John… hmmm… thinking… hmmm ;l)
Anne Waymn recently posted…The Good Online Writer’s Workshop

16 John Soares March 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I think it’s a good selling point, especially for e-books that contain information that can go out-of-date fairly quickly.
John Soares recently posted…Selling E-Books with E-Junkie- My Experience