I love WordPress. It allows me and millions of others to create beautiful websites that are easy to update. WordPress sites can be simple or complex, and they can do most anything that you want.
That said, there is always room for improvement. Now mind you, I’m not a tech person at all, and I’m definitely not an expert or a website designer. Far from it. I’m just a person who has several WordPress websites.
Here we go with my suggestions for improvement…
1. The Ability to Make Private Notes About a Post
I would love this. When I write a post, I always have lots of things I need to jot down, such as:
- Alternative post titles
- Alternative URL slugs
- Alternative meta descriptions
- Other posts of my own I may want to link to
- Posts and pages on other websites I may want to link to
- Best tags
- Text for the email I send to my subscribers
- Who to contact after I publish the post
- Different tweets for the post
- Potential future posts on the same topic
As it is, I write these either in the post itself (and then delete later), or I write it in a Word document (cumbersome).
2. Display the Exact Time a Post Draft Was Updated
Sometimes I click “Save Draft” and I’m not sure the draft was actually saved. If you’ve saved even once, the site says “Post draft updated,” but it doesn’t say when. I wish it would say “Post draft updated at 10:37 a.m.” so I can be sure the update happened, and I can also see how long it’s been since I last saved.
3. The Ability to Deal with Daylight Savings Time
The developers joke about this, but it’s not trivial. It can be confusing if you want to publish a post just after midnight, but you’re not really sure if it’s actually going to post an hour earlier (and thus have the date of the day before, if you use months and days in your URL structure). Or maybe it’ll post an hour later, after you’ve sent an email to your subscribers about the new post.
4. Full Kitchen Sink Options in Expanded Distraction-Free Writing Mode
I really like the concept of the full page to create a post. Unfortunately, what I can mainly do there is write text and add links.
But I always need to do other stuff, including:
- Adding headers
- Pasting text
- Indenting text
- And the other options that are missing
Why can’t that be included?
5. Get Rid of That Nagging Single Space Indent
I don’t know about you, but I frequently find that WordPress adds a single space to the beginning of many lines. I have to click there and then hit the backspace key.
Maybe it’s something unique to me, but it happens a lot.
Your thoughts about my improvement suggestions? What features would you like to see added to WordPress? Anything you don’t like that you wish would go away? Is WordPress actually capable of one or more of these suggestions, and I just don’t know it?